UE-V and Windows 10 1703 Creators Update

Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on LinkedInShare on Google+Email this to someone

While trying to deploy Windows 10 1703 I started seeing an issue where the initial UE-V template catalog synchronization completes successfully but then it fails to synchronize ever again.  I confirmed that the permissions on the share were correct (although since it synchronizes the first time I didn’t think permissions were the problem), I disabled anti-virus and the firewall on both the client and server sides, and I double checked that all my templates were valid.  Interestingly enough, after checking, I found the same issue in another environment that was running Creators Update.

 

Errors:

UE-V Event Logs:

Event ID 13000:  An exception has occurred while synchronizing settings packages.  Exception message:  “External component has thrown and exception.”

Event ID 1503:  An exception occurred while applying the settings template catalog:  XML parse was unsuccessful but no failure was given.

Event ID 1509:  An error occurred in the ApplySettingsTemplateCatalog utility.

Template Auto Update Scheduled Task:

Return code 2147942401

 

I enabled debug logging but that didn’t give any additional information.  At this point I started to lean towards there being an issue with Creators Update itself and the next step was going to be to open a case with Microsoft.  However, I came across the solution just before going down that route.

Originally, I was setting the ‘Enable UE-V’ GPO which will turn on the UE-V service in Windows 10 1607 and 1703.  Enabling UE-V via this method requires a reboot to take effect, so I found that the machines needed a second reboot after SCCM OSD completed before UE-V would start working (since SCCM blocks GPO application during OSD).  This is less than ideal so I added a PowerShell script in the task sequence to enable the service so when the machine reboots at the end, the UE-V service is ready to go.  I left the GPO setting in place as well thinking that it wouldn’t hurt to enforce enabling UE-V via policy, but it turns out these conflict with one another.  I took out the GPO setting, and after a re-image the template catalog sync worked great.  I reached this conclusion by manually toggling the UE-V service via PowerShell (Disable-UEV and Enable-UEV) at which point the sync worked without issue.  I couldn’t find anything posted online about this, but it looks like trying to enable the UE-V service in policy once it is already enabled ends up corrupting it.

In conclusion, don’t set the ‘Enable UE-V’ GPO setting and run the PS cmdlet ‘Enable-UEV’ during OSD. Use only one or the other method of enabling UE-V in Windows 10 1703.